Nanning (南宁), the capital city of Guangxi Province, is not only the political, economic and cultural center of the province, but also plays an important role in the economic development of southwest China. Nanning borders Vietnam (160 km), is neighbor to Guangzhou, close to Hong Kong and Macau, and faces Southeast Asia. This advantageous location makes the city a commercial and communication center, opening China to Southeast Asia.
Pleasant climate endows the city with evergreen trees and fragrant flowers all year round, hence the name ‘Green City.’ In such a beautiful land, more than 30 ethnic minority groups have been living harmoniously for 1,680 years. Zhuang is the largest minority group of China. Over 90% of them live in Guangxi. Their history and ethnic culture add charm to the city.
- Qingxiu Mountain (青秀山), Qingshan Road (青山路). 8AM-6PM. is about 9 km southeast of downtown. Qingxiu Shan is not really a mountain, despite its name. It is actually an enormous park with many natural and manmade attractions, including sculptures, ponds, temples, pagodas, gardens and the China-ASEAN Friendship Corridor, which contains photos and information about all the countries of South-East Asia. There is lotus pond, a cycad garden with dinosaur sculptures, a monument to the students who fought against the Japanese in the second world war, a Thai-style Buddhist temple, an ancient walkway through the forest, natural springs, and a peach flower garden. At the top of a hill near the lake there is Longxiang Pagoda which was originally built in Ming Dynasty (re-built in 1985). Admission ~ RMB 20
- WeChat. Wifi is provided in the museum. There are 3 main halls:
Guangxi Museum (广西壮族自治区博物馆), 34 Minzu Dadao (民族大道34号; Mínzú Dàdào) (opposite Minzu Square). 9am to 5pm (last entry 4pm), closed on Mondays. Famous for its great collections of ancient bronze drums that date back to the Spring and Autumn Period (770BC-476BC). Has quite an eclectic exhibition. Audio-guide guides are available for free using
- dedicated to the porcelain collection, which covers the entire history of the region.
- showcases the Ouluo ancient culture of this region; includes a section on the famous bronze drums.
- shows famous painting collections.
- Beside the museum building, there is also an open-air cultural garden, with performances, and buildings showcasing the architecture and culture of some of the minorities.
- ZhongShan Lu Night Market (中山路) spans several hundred metres along two streets in the heart of the city. Historically known for its sometimes bizarre cuisine, it has an astounding variety of food on offer, from local noodles to anything you can imagine on a skewer, along with tropical fruit drinks and desserts. The market opens at 6.30 pm every night of the week along ZhongShan Lu, which is a narrow street that runs between NanHuan Lu and the extremely busy, eight-road Minzu Dadao and ChaoYang Lu intersection. The market’s main entrance is on the southern side of the intersection, diagonally opposite the Walmart shopping centre. The market spills over into the adjacent parallel but slightly shorter street (Gonghe Lu), which is connected to ZhongShan Lu by an alleyway in the middle of the market.
- South Lake (南湖; Nánhú), Gucheng Road (古城路; Gǔchénglù). 8AM-5PM. An above-water paradise with different kinds of cruise ships, scenery viewing bridges and modern entertainment facilities. Nanhu Lake is surrounded with typical subtropical plants such as palms, including bonsai and orchid gardens.
- Yi Ling Yan Rock cave (伊岭岩), (18 km away from Nanning). 45 meters deep, covering 24 000 square meters
- Jiahecheng Hot Spring Valley, Nan Wu Street, northeast of the city, about 13 kilometers, recreational center based on relaxing, comforting hot springs. Take your choice of Chinese, Japanese, Finnish, Thai, Turkish, or Jordanian hot spring bathing styles.
- White Dragon Park (百龙公园), Renmin East Road (人民东路).
- Detian Waterfall (德天瀑布). Great waterfall about 4 hours away by car, on the border of Vietnam and China. It is the largest transnational waterfall in Asia and the fourth largest transnational waterfall in the world. The falls consist of two parts. The main waterfall (named Detian Waterfall) on the Chinese side of the Guichun River, and the Ban Gioc Waterfall on the Vietnam side. Admission ~ RMB 80.
- Yangmei Ancient Town, west of Yong Xin District, about 38 kilometers, An ancient town of thousands of years. Built in the Song Dynasty (960-1279), the town has kept well the ancient architecture, streets and unsophisticated folkways.
- Liangfengjiang National Forest Park, You Yi Road, South of the city. A national AAA tourist resort, called ‘Natural Oxygen Bar’ because of its humid air and beautiful scenery. Includes the Banyan Garden, Botanic Garden, Butterfly Specimen & Grotesque Stone Museum
WHAT TO BUY? Nanning has various local products ranging from fruits to handicrafts to traditional medicines. Lychee, banana, pineapple and mango are the most productive fruits, thus quite cheap. Leather products, handbags, luggage cases, waistbands and shoes are good buys. Zhuang Jin making (Brocade of Zhuang ethnic minority group) has a long history and is the most traditional and symbolic tourist souvenir of Guangxi Province. The arrays of golden and silver ornaments are good choices.
- Chao Yang Lu (Changyang Rd.) is the main shopping street of the city. There are many modern and comprehensive malls and supermarkets such as Nanning Department Mall, Diamond Square, and Wal-Mart Supermarket.
- Xing Ning Jie (Xingning Rd.) is where tourists can find various golden ornaments with relatively low prices.
- Xi Guan Lu (Xiguan Rd.) is one of the city’s night markets where hawkers sell cheap clothes, cosmetics and dolls.
- Yuan Hu Lu (Yuanhu Rd. in its northern part) is a market of flowers, bonsais, birds, fish and other pets.
- Fu Ye Tian Di Tourist Souvenir Market is located in the underground square in front of Nanning Railway Station
More to Explore….
Trip Planning | Visas | Weather | Pollution | Health | Packing | Gifts | Dangers | Electrical | Airport Arrivals | Airport Departures | Airlines | Trains | Taxis | Police Registration | Etiquette | Hotels | Eating | Drinking | Money | HongBao | Shopping | Tailor | FaPiao Receipts | Toilets | Internet & VPN | Mobile Phones | WeChat | Emergencies | Fakes & Forgeries | Superstitions | Architecture | Dynasties | Holidays & Festivals | Chinese Zodiac | Counting on 1 Hand | Dice Games | Fun Facts
Places | Beijing | The Great Wall | Tiananmen Square | Forbidden City | Temple of Heaven | Hutongs | HouHai Lake | Summer Palace | ChengDe | ChengDu | Fuzhou | Hangzhou | Harbin | Nanjing | Nanning | Qingdao | Guangzhou | Guilin & Yangshuo | Li River | Sanya | Shanghai | Shenzhen | Suzhou | Tianjin | Wuhan | Xiamen | Xi’an | TerraCotta Warriors | Zhouzhuang